Thursday 21 June 2012

Day 1: New York City


I slept all night on my flight to New York City.  I honestly don't remember a single thing about it.  We landed at JFK with 15 hours to go before my next flight.  My first task was to pick up my luggage and find the ticket counter for the next flight so I could check it back in.  Finding the luggage was not too hard; finding someone who knew the terminal for my next flight was a different story.  It probably would have helped if I had been looking for the right airline the whole time.  I figured it out before I went to the wrong terminal, but not before I told Uncle Dan and Aunt Mary where to meet me.  Since it is probably easier for me to find my way around than for them, I decided to run to my terminal and than to meet them at the one I had told them.  When I got to the terminal listed for my airline, I could not find the ticket counter.  I quickly learned they do not start checking passengers in until 2:00 pm.  That pretty much means I ran all the way over there for nothing.
Uncle Dan and Aunt Mary picked me up at the airport and took me to breakfast at McDonalds.  They are currently serving in the New York New York South Mission.  Uncle Dan is in charge of all of the vehicles, and Aunt Mary works with all the referrals.  They live in a little house right behind the mission office and let me store my bags there.  These accommodations worked perfectly because their apartment was actually on my subway ride back to the airport.  We took a tour of the mission office before I left to catch the subway and meet up with Kylie.


It felt so nice to be back in New York.  I don't know what it is about the city, but it does something magical for me.  From the subways, to the skyscrapers, to the hustle and bustle of people all around, I love it all!  Kylie and I met up at the new memorial 9/11 memorial on the site of the former World Trade Center.  Massive fountains have been constructed in the footprint of each tower.  Water cascades down the side into what looks like a bottomless hole.  The fact that you can't see the bottom makes it very symbolic.  It represents the fact that we will never forget the victims of that fateful day.  I am glad they finally decided to do something on the site.    When I visited four years ago it was little more than a hole in the ground.  To me, the new memorial shows that as a nation we are able to move forward with hope and faith.  They are building several new buildings on the site that look fantastic, but I am glad that they are not rebuilding over the imprints of the former towers.  Visiting that site is like visiting holy ground.  I am grateful to the men and women who lost their lives on that fateful day, and I will never forget it or the days and events surrounding it.



Kylie and I had a fantastic day taking the subway all up and down Manhattan.  Within a few short hours I think we saw nearly every major tourist attraction.  After the World Trade Center, we visited the Empire State Building, followed by lunch in Little Italy.  Our next stop was the Staten Island Ferry.  This was something I did not do my first time in New York.  The ferry is about a 20 minute ride from the South tip of Manhattan to Staten Island, and gives great views of The Statue of Liberty, Manhattan, and the Brooklyn Bridge.  The best thing is that it's free!  Maybe one of New York's best kept secrets.  Of course, we saved the best for last: Times Square!  This is where the New York magic is at its finest for me.  I just love being there and being a part of everything that is going on.  Kylie was a fantastic hostess.  I think she shares a lot of my same feelings about the city, and is starting to seem like a local herself.  I plan on being back in the city to stay at some point, if only for a while.






By 5:30 it was time for me to head back to the airport.  After a quick pitstop in Queens to pick up my luggage, a ride on the subway, and finally the airport shuttle, I was back at the JFK ticket counter.  This time, the ticket agents were all there.  I felt so official when they asked to see my passport.  Notwithstanding all of that, it does not feel quite real yet.  The very last experience I had before leaving the country was a real special one.  Mom called to say Justin's new mission call had arrived.  Since I had about 15 minutes before my flight I stayed on the line to hear him open it.  He has been called to the FLORIDA FORT LAUDERDALE MISSION, Spanish speaking!!  I think I was a little too tired for the shock to even register.  I had thought to myself about the possibility of him being called to my mission, but I never believed it would actually happen.  I immediately began to think of all the families that I taught, and people I left behind, and became very excited for him to be able to continue the work I started while I was there.  He is going to the greatest mission in all the land!  Now his mission is going to mean a whole lot more to me because it while be so intricately intertwined with mine.  I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment