Friday 22 June 2012

Day 2: London


I woke up as the pilot announced we were arriving in Germany.  Even through the grogginess I could feel the excitement.  This was the first moment when everything started to feel really, although I was still kind of in a daze.  My first instinct was to lean over and try to get a glimpse of the landscape.  I could see the tops of some houses as we bounced in and out of the fluffy white clouds.  When the wheels touched the ground I was officially in Dusseldorf and my European adventure had begun.  The airport was not much different from an American airport, although all of the signs were in German as well as English.  I barely had time to make my next flight.  By the time I had my passport stamped twice and ran to the other side of the airport, I had not time to change my clothes or get ready at all.  We had to take some stairs down out of the airport terminal and then catch a bus that took us to the actual plane.  The flight was tiny.  They did not even have enough room for my tiny carry-on bag.  I feel bad for the person who sat next to me.  I think I slept the whole way even though I was not planning on sleeping at all.  I woke up as we were touching down in London.  The flight itself took no time at all.  This time we walked to an airport shuttle that took us to the main terminal.  From there I entered the passport line to enter the UK border.  This was one of the longest lines I have ever stood in and it moved extremely slowly.  I stood in the line for over two hours; thankfully, I had no problem getting through the checkpoint.  I just had to tell the guard I was a student there on vacation (see, it is official!) and give him a definite date for leaving the country.  When he heard I was only going to be here for five days before heading to Amsterdam I guess he figured I would be their problem and let me go.

After making it through the airport I had to figure out which bus to take to get to the subway station to get to my hotel.  I found the cheapest one and made my way outside the airport terminal.  The cheapest bus also had the longest line.  I missed the first one waiting in line and thought I was going to miss the second one, but barely made it on.  By that point I only had several hours before I was supposed to be at Wicked, and not knowing how long it would really take me to get to my hotel, I was feeling a little bit concerned.  It didn't help that the bus driver got in an argument with a woman who tried to ride with her daughter sitting on her lap.  They went back and forth for several minutes before she conceded and got off the bus.  This resulted in a lecture from the bus driver about safety rules on the bus.  Welcome to Britain!  The bus took me to what must be one of the busiest Subway stations in London.  There were people everywhere!  I felt really out of place with all my luggage.  Thankfully, the Subway (or The Tube/Underground as they call it in Britain) is fairly easy to to navigate and my hotel was only a few stops away.  My hotel room is like a little hole in the wall (definitely not what I expected for the price I payed).  It consists of a bed, a sink, a little desk, and something that looks like a little coat closet.  I share a communal bathroom with everyone on my floor.  Thankfully, I haven't seen anyone else since I got here, so it is kind of like I got my own bathroom.  The very first thing I wanted to do when I got to the hotel was take a shower.  I felt gross!


By the time I got ready, it was time to adventure out to find the theatre for Wicked.  I have to leave the key to my hotel room at the desk any time I leave.  I'm not quite sure how I feel about this yet.  On one hand it is nice not to have to worry about losing the key out and about, but on the other hand it makes me feel really vulnerable because someone else has total access to my things.  I guess I don't have much of a choice, though.  The theatre for Wicked is near the station where I first boarded the Tube.  My seat was down on the floor, the left hand side, second row of the second section.  I had a fantastic view.  This is the biggest show I have seen since my mission and the butterflies of excitement started fluttering as the house lights dimmed and the orchestra began to play.  Wicked is even better than I remember from five years ago.  The leads were absolutely phenomenal (and their British accents only bothered me a little bit).  The girl who played Elphaba could sing like almost no one else I have ver heard.  I don't think you can teach people like to sing like that; it is a talent someone must be born with.   The number Defying Gravity never ceases to give me chills.  It is one of those moments that few words can describe.  Everyone should experience it.  The other stand out number in this production was "No Good Deed."  The closing notes gave me similar chills.  There were only several things about it that I did not like as much as the production I saw in Portland.  Elphaba's entrance was more exciting in that production.  That is probably the only thing I would change.  What a great welcome to London!  After the show, I went to the stage door and met the actresses.  They were so gracious and kind.  I think that is what I love about the theater.  You have people who are incredibly talented but not tainted by fame.  This trip has been amazing so far.  I can't wait to see what will come next!

Me with Glinda

Me with Elphaba



No comments:

Post a Comment